Public transport

You can find timetables, ticket / transport subscription prices and other information under the following links:

For information on public transport (trams, buses) in Basel-Stadt:

For information on the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB):

Driver’s licence

If you move to Basel from another Canton, you need to inform the Motor vehicle authority Basel-Stadt of your new address.

If you move to Basel from abroad, you have one year after entering Switzerland to personally request a Swiss driver’s licence from the motor vehicle authority. During this year you may use your foreign driver’s licence. After this time, you may no longer use your foreign driver’s licence in Switzerland. Please note that drivers with licences from certain countries may also need to pass a practical driving test and/or a theory test. For this reason, please contact the motor vehicle authority in good time.

The following documents are required to obtain a Swiss licence:

  • Completed application form (including eye test)
  • Swiss nationals: passport or ID card
  • Foreign nationals: permit
  • 1 colour, up-to-date passport photo
  • Foreign driver’s licence

Traffic rules in Switzerland

You can find the key traffic rules here


Parking places in Switzerland are divided into different zones. You can find more information about this here

Digital city bike map

Cyclists in the Basel region will find the digital city bike map useful.

Cross-border commuters

Persons who work in Basel but return to their place of residence abroad every week can register as a weekly resident provided that they fulfil the necessary conditions.